Friday 10 October 2008

Evening Leader's UFO spotters' map

The Evening Leader's UFO spotters' map has hit the headlines.

Well, it's been mentioned in holdthefrontpage.co.uk and journalism.co.uk.

Basically, I used the site Dipity.com to create a timeline and map of all the recent UFO sightings our newspaper has received. Then I embedded the widget Dipity provides on a custom page on our site.

I been aware that other news sites have been using Dipity for a while, but to be honest I only went and had a look at myself the other day.

It seems to work really well for what I want it to and I expect it can do loads more once you start playing with it.

The mapping system works really well in this case for our UFO spotters, and I think the ability to plot stories on a timeline will be useful if we want to show how an ongoing story has developed.

CLICK HERE for the link to our Dipity UFO widget


Please feel free to follow Christian Dunn on Twitter, www.twitter.com/christiandunn

No comments: